Tuesday 4 September 2012

the pressure to be perfect.

Sometimes we try to please everyone, we try so hard to keep everyone else happy but on the way, we forget about our own happiness. For the past few years, since I started high school, I tried to be good enough for everyone, to reach their expectations. I tried to be nice, funny, understanding and everything anyone could want in a friend. I tried to be perfect.

The thing about the concept of perfection is that is based solely on the one persons' view. My idea of perfection will be different compared to someone else's thought of perfection. And that's what struck me hard. I tried to fit everyone's perspective of perfection. When I was with one person, I would be funny and witty. When I was with someone else, I would be caring and understanding. I kept changing myself for everyone else and I began to think to myself, who am I? I had multiple personalities.



Last year, I decided to stop and just be myself. At first, people were kind of confused, thinking I had changed completely over summer. Then pretty much everyone accepted me as I was and I think that was truly amazed. One quote I read a while ago fits this topic quite well, "Those who mind, don't matter. And those who matter, don't mind". 

In today's society, we're surrounded by pictures of models and celebrities. They are constantly called perfect or they have the perfect body or hair or smile. Just remember that we blame society but we are society.

I think that perfection is just a state of mind where it's something we always strive for, whether it's the perfect  figure or smile, yet it's something we can never have ourselves. It's always something that someone else has, we are quick to see our own flaws but we are quick to point out good things about other people.

Perfect by Simple Plan really explains how you may not be perfect but you're worth it.

"Nobody's perfect. We're all just one step up from beasts and one step down from the angels" - Jeanette Walls

Kayla x



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...